This section explains the basics a rider needs to know to utilize C-CARTS services. If you have questions regarding any of our services, please give us a call at 217.344.4287 or view our travel training video.
Download the C-CARTS brochure here. Descarga el folleto en español aquí. TTY (217) 384-7433.
Hours of Operation
C-CARTS operates Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
C-CARTS does not operate on the following holidays:
- Labor Day (First Monday in September)
- Thanksgiving (Fourth Thursday in November)
- Christmas (December 25)
- New Year's Day (January 1)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Please have your exact fare ready when boarding the vehicle. Operators are unable to make change.
- Personal care attendants/companions may ride for free.
- Operators are not able to make unscheduled stops.
- All passengers must wear seat belts unless medical authorization prohibiting their use is on file with C-CARTS.
- For passengers in wheelchairs, the operator must secure your chair and fasten your seat belt and shoulder harness. Operators will secure other types of mobility devices and/or medical equipment.
- C-CARTS is not able to provide transportation between two locations within the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District service area.
- Any passenger can utilize the vehicle’s lift if they are unable to enter the vehicle by the stairs.
Rules of Conduct
To ensure the safety and comfort of all riders, please be advised that the following rules will be enforced on all C-CARTS and MTD properties, including vehicles, shelters, and Illinois Terminal (inside and out).
- Be courteous and kind.
- Please do not litter on C-CARTS vehicles or at stop locations. Trash receptacles are on buses near the front door of each vehicle.
- Eating and drinking are prohibited on C-CARTS vehicles. Tobacco and nicotine products (including smokeless) are also prohibited.
- Please do not use any electronic devices or musical instruments in a manner which may be distracting and/or offensive to others on C-CARTS vehicles.
- Please do not use loud, explicit, or vulgar language.
- Please wear proper attire. If you are not wearing shoes or a shirt, you will not be provided service.
- Solicitations are prohibited.
- Hazardous materials (for example, gas containers or vehicle batteries) are not allowed on C-CARTS vehicles.
- Firearms are prohibited pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/65.
- Pets are allowed on C-CARTS vehicles when transported in an appropriate pet carrier. Pets must remain in carriers at all times and the carrier may not obstruct the aisle. Carrier requirements do not apply to service animals for persons with disabilities.
- Passengers are responsible for carrying their pet carrier and any other items. Operators may not provide assistance carrying items on or off the bus. Do not block aisle.
Failure to abide by these rules and guidelines may result in the discontinuation of service.
C-CARTS provides a curb-to-curb service. If requested at time of scheduling, further assistance can be provided. Passengers who qualify for ADA Paratransit service may be accompanied by a Personal Care Attendant (PCA). PCAs ride at no cost. A companion may ride at the same fare as any rider. Accommodations for more than one companion are granted on a space-available basis. The PCA and/or companion must have the same origin and destination as the scheduled passenger.
Service animals can accompany a passenger if such a need exists. Please inform C-CARTS when you schedule your trip that a service animal will be with you.
All carry-on items must be manageable by the passenger, their PCA, or companion. Packages or bags must be kept in the passenger’s personal space and may not occupy additional seats on the vehicle. The operator is not able to assist with the loading and unloading of packages.
Your C-CARTS vehicle may arrive 15 minutes before or after your scheduled pick up time. Please help us remain on schedule by being prepared to board the vehicle when it arrives. If your vehicle has not arrived 15 minutes after your scheduled time, please call C-CARTS at 217.344.4287.
For information on scheduling a trip, please visit On Demand.
Deviated Fixed-Route Service
C-CARTS offers two fixed-route services for passengers traveling within the Village of Rantoul and to/from Champaign-Urbana. These services are provided as a partnership between the Village of Rantoul and C-CARTS.
The Eagle Express and Rantoul Connector operate between the hours of 5:00 am and 8:00 am and again between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm. During these morning and afternoon windows, curb-to-curb services are not available between Champaign-Urbana and Rantoul. (See Fixed Route for Eagle Express and Rantoul Connector map and schedule information.)
The Rantoul Connector is a commuter route that does not deviate from the fixed stops. The Eagle Express will deviate within 3/4 mile of the fixed-route for any passengers.
For complementary ADA Paratransit information please call 217.344.4287.
Region 8 Directory
For other transportation options in Region 8 (Champaign, Clark, Coles, Cumberland, DeWitt, Douglas, Edgar, Macon, Moultrie, Piatt, Shelby, and Vermillion), please refer to the transportation directory.
C-CARTS provides transportation to meet the needs travel needs of all residents of Champaign County including the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Personal Care Attendants/Companions
Riders who are eligible for ADA Paratransit service are able to have a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) accompany them at no additional cost. Companions must pay the same fare as the eligible rider. More than one companion is allowed on a space-available basis. PCAs or companions must be picked up and dropped off at the same location as the eligible rider.
Service animals are permitted to accompany passengers on all C-CARTS vehicles. The care and supervision of the animal is the responsibility of the passenger. If you will be traveling with a service animal, please make note of this when scheduling a trip.
Wheelchair Securement and Seat Belts
Operators must provide assistance with the vehicle lift and securement system. Wheelchairs/scooters are required to be secured into the vehicle’s four-point securement system at all times during the ride. If a wheelchair is unable to be secured, a supervisor will be contacted for other arrangements. Passengers will not be asked to transfer out of their wheelchair into another seat.
All passengers must wear seat belts unless medical authorization prohibiting their use is on file with C-CARTS.
All C-CARTS vehicles are equipped with a lift or ramp. A rider who is not in a wheelchair may use the lift if they are unable to enter the vehicle by the stairs with the Operator’s assistance.
An individual who uses a lift may not be allowed to disembark from a vehicle at a designated stop if the lift cannot be deployed, the lift will be damaged if deployed, or temporary conditions preclude the safe use of the stop by all passengers.
Portable oxygen tanks and respirators are allowed on all C-CARTS vehicles, but must be secured when transporting.
Inclement Weather Policy
C-CARTS bases its decision to suspend service to certain areas based on the closures of school districts in that area, available road condition data, and other available weather information.
In the case of cancellations, C-CARTS will contact the following radio and television stations to disseminate this information. It is the passenger’s responsibility to tune in for possible cancellation information.
- WCFF FM (92.5)
- WLRW FM (94.5)
- WIXY FM (100.3)
- WGKC FM (105.9)
- WSJK FM (93.5)
- WJEK (95.3)
- WPGU FM (107.1)
- WDWS AM (1400)
- WCIA (usually Channel 3)
- WICD (usually Channel 15)
Additionally, cancellation information will be available on the C-CARTS website.